Full Time Positions
MANAGER, MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager of Media and Communications is an innovative and energetic professional responsible for overseeing all media and communication activities aligned with KWAG's mission, vision and values.
As a member of the Gallery's team, the Manager of Media and Communications will develop and execute a
comprehensive communications plan including public and media relations, traditional and digital media, social media,
and e-communications. The incumbent plays a critical role in supporting the Executive Director and Senior Managers as they create excitement about the Gallery, sharing the Gallery's aspirations, stories and programming initiatives, and engaging with partners, supporters and the community.
This is a full-time, salaried position.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements a comprehensive communications plan and budget annually.
- Works collaboratively to create internal and external communications pieces and ensure that content is produced and placed throughout print, online and social media communications channels.
- Responsible for all initiatives related to KWAG website, social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Electronic Mail, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and YouTube) and other regular electronic and print communications.
- Establishes a communication style guide standard for all print and digital communications.
- Manages the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and online collateral including (but not limited to) newsletters, brochures, reports, e-newsletters, social media presence, and website, on time and within budget.
- Responsible for website content, ensuring accuracy and relevancy.
- Tracks and measures communication initiatives with emphasis on data analysis.
- Manages incoming requests for executive team speaking engagements, interviews and other public facing engagements, and takes a proactive approach in securing opportunities for leadership positioning through news editorials and speaking opportunities.
- Executes advertising initiatives; ensures effective use of public service announcement opportunities, schedules and
submits paid information listings (e.g. Akimbo, Canadian art) and ensures the timely distribution of community information materials.
- Coordinates and edits the Gallery's Annual Report.
- Tracks, analyzes and archives media coverage.
- Develops external media and agency relationships.
- Crafts and distributes news releases, assembles pitch materials, and communicates with media contacts.
- Establishes strong relationships with journalists, bloggers, industry professionals and other leading opinion makers.
- Meets with tourism partners regularly and monitors related external sites to ensure KWAG is being promoted.
- Liaises with hotels and other potential partners to collaborate on cross-promotional opportunities.
- Attends relevant industry and community events to build relationships and promote KWAG.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related field.
- 3 years of relevant experience in communications
- Able to write and edit across different writing platforms including social media, print and digital media.
- Experience in updating website content.
- Demonstrated computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.)
- Excellent written and editorial skills.
- Effective communicator.
- Knowledge of the Waterloo Region community.
- Knowledge of Canadian media landscape.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic and changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work a varied schedule with expectation to work some evenings and weekends.
- Understanding in communicating and engaging with culturally diverse communities.
- Takes ownership of work, is proactive, and demonstrates initiative.
- Knowledge of the arts industry or interest in the visual arts.
- Understanding of challenges faced by not-for-profits and charities
- A creative and innovative thinker, resourceful in developing and executing exciting and inspired ideas and concepts to raise the Gallery's profile.
- Intellectually curious, creative and entrepreneurial.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with colleagues as a collaborative team player.
- Demonstrates a polished and professional style with personal qualities of integrity, credibility and sound judgement.
- High-energy, positive and solution-oriented professional with a hands-on management style.
Please send a resume and cover letter before May 1, 2017 at 5:00 pm to:
Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery
101 Queen Street North
Kitchener, ON N2H 6P7
Only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.