The Gallery Lobby: A Transformative Space for Communication
At KWAG, we are committed to exhibiting and preserving art of outstanding national significance and offering programming that creates multiple points of entry into the topics explored through art. We also believe in providing visitors with a welcoming and comfortable experience that connects the Gallery with the urban fabric of the city. Our commitment to enhancing the experience for every Gallery visitor continues into early 2019 with a substantial lobby renovation.
Construction will begin 14 January 2019 and continue into April 2019. Despite the inevitable disruptions that will accompany this work, our doors will remain open as often as possible during renovations and we will continue to champion the provocative side of contemporary art and culture through exhibitions and public programs. We ask that you bear with us through the process as changes may occur in opening hours and event locations, which we will update regularly on this page and elsewhere on our website, as well as through updates in our weekly e-newsletter and social media.
- The Gallery will be closed to the general public from Tuesday 15 January to Saturday 19 January to accommodate demolition work in our lobby
- Our Corridor Gallery exhibition, Tales of Heritage, has been temporarily removed from view until further notice to protect the artworks during demolition
- The KWAG Youth Council's first meeting of 2019 will proceed as scheduled on Tuesday 15 January at 4:00 pm - members are asked to convene in the Box Office lobby of Centre in the Square where the Education Coordinator will meet you to facilitate your safe entry into the Gallery
- The Gallery will re-open on Sunday 20 January, with our Walk the Talk: Curatorial Tour running as scheduled starting at 2:00 pm
- The Community Access Space will be unavailable for event rentals from January-April 2019
With the City of Kitchener’s help and oversight, the improvements to the lobby will achieve legal accessibility standards while going beyond compliance to reflect the Gallery’s goal of creating an inclusive and welcoming space. The lobby will be transformed to include a new Visitor Services Centre, an Education Hub, and in the future, an outdoor courtyard. The design of the new lobby embraces the visitor and ignites the imagination upon entry. Once completed, here is what you will encounter in the lobby:
- A new entrance with improved visibility in the Centre in the Square lobby
- A new Visitor Services Centre aligned with the Community Access Space
- An interactive Education Hub with integrated technology designed for learning through hands-on and online exploration of the creative process – visitors may access information on the Collection, exhibitions, and issues explored in contemporary and historical art
- A central gathering area for visitors to relax
- Accessible gender-neutral washrooms
- Additional windows to invite more natural light into our space
- Polished concrete flooring and raised ceiling height
- A future outdoor courtyard area adjacent to the Education Hub for activities, events and artist projects
Upon completion of this project the Gallery will, more than ever, be an inclusive gathering place where people of all backgrounds and opinions can find a home and share in important conversations.