The Gallery Lobby: A Transformative Space for Communication
At KWAG, we are committed to exhibiting and preserving art of outstanding national significance and offering programming that creates multiple points of entry into the topics explored through art. We also believe in providing visitors with a welcoming and comfortable experience that connects the Gallery with the urban fabric of the city. Our commitment to enhancing the experience for every Gallery visitor continues into early 2019 with a substantial lobby renovation.
With the City of Kitchener’s help and oversight, the improvements to the lobby achieve legal accessibility standards while going beyond compliance to reflect the Gallery’s goal of creating an inclusive and welcoming space. The renewed lobby includes a new Visitor Services Centre and Education Hub. The design of the new lobby embraces the visitor and ignites the imagination upon entry.
Here is what you will encounter in the lobby:
- A new entrance with improved visibility in the Centre In The Square lobby
- A new Visitor Services Centre aligned with the Community Access Space
- An interactive Education Hub with integrated technology designed for learning through hands-on and online exploration of the creative process – visitors may access information on the Collection, exhibitions, and issues explored in contemporary and historical art
- A central gathering area for visitors to relax
- Accessible gender-neutral washrooms
- Polished concrete flooring and raised ceiling height
Upon completion of this project the Gallery will, more than ever, be an inclusive gathering place where people of all backgrounds and opinions can find a home and share in important conversations.