As a nationally-acclaimed home for the creation and experience of contemporary art, the Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery fills a critical role in Waterloo Region’s cultural ecosystem by connecting people and ideas through a challenging and accessible exhibition program.
The Curatorial Department accepts exhibition proposals from established, mid-career and emerging artists, curators, collectives and groups. While we will review submitted material as promptly as possible, please allow up to three months for a response due to the number of proposals we receive. Exhibitions are typically planned one to three years in advance and we have limited capacity to consider projects with a short timeline. There is no deadline to submit exhibition proposals.
As outlined in Pillar 1 of our Strategic Plan, KWAG is a non-discriminatory organization that upholds the fundamental principles of equality, inclusivity, accessibility, freedom of expression and open engagement. We promote the participation of our culturally diverse population within the Gallery and community, and welcome exhibition proposals from individuals and groups that are historically on the margins or are traditionally under-represented in cultural institutions.
If you are interested in submitting an exhibition proposal, please provide the following information in a single PDF document:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), including exhibition record
- Statement describing your practice and proposal
- A brief rationale for presenting your work at KWAG
- Samples of work must be labelled with your name, title of the work, date(s) of production, medium and dimensions
- For images, include up to 15 JPGs or a link to view on an external site
- For video and/or audio, provide links for viewing up to 15 minutes of material such as artist website, Vimeo or YouTube and include passwords if required
- Feel free to include other related materials such as recent publications or reviews
Send proposals to the Curatorial Department:
Darryn Doull, Curator
Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery
Re: Exhibition Proposal - Curatorial Department
101 Queen Street North
Kitchener, ON N2H 6P7
Please note: If you are mailing an exhibition proposal and would like your materials returned after review, you must provide a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE). If no SASE is provided your materials will either be kept on file or otherwise discarded. KWAG is not liable for the contents of mailed submissions. Please allow up to six months for your materials to be returned.
KWAG is committed to inclusivity and accessibility and can provide alternative arrangements if required or requested.
OAC Exhibition Assistance Program
Each year the Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery serves as a third-party recommender organization for the Ontario Arts Council: Exhibition Assistance Program. This program provides grants of $500 to $2,000 to assist individual artists and collectives with costs related to presenting their work in an exhibition at any venue. Artists who are based in the Waterloo Region and surrounding areas (defined by the OAC as Zone 2) are eligible to submit a funding request for KWAG's consideration through NOVA, the OAC’s online application portal. Please note that paper and/or digital applications sent directly to KWAG will no longer be accepted.
The 2022-23 program will be open for applications from June 2022-13 January 2023.
Artists may apply to KWAG for funding support for confirmed, upcoming exhibitions only. KWAG assesses applications on an ongoing basis until our allocated funds have been depleted. Since requests often exceed the funds available through this program, we recommend that artists apply as early as possible within the application timeframe.
Recent Program Changes (effective from 2018-2019 Funding Year):
- Applications are now submitted through Nova.
- The maximum amount has been increased to $2,000.
- Applicants may submit up to three Exhibition Assistance applications at a time.
- Recommenders no longer notify applicants. All applicants are notified by OAC through their Nova account